"Father who loves to cook"
Hometown: Toronto, ON, CA
Food Stamps: 7950
Posts: 3 / Comments: 2
Member since: 05/16/07
Last login: 07/04/08
I am a working father of 2 who loves to whirl in the kitchen. I prefer to cook vs bake. I could spend hours reading cookbooks or even watching cooking shows.
My kids, hockey and then trying new things in the kitchen. Also love to travel
What I'm Listening to
Recently been hooked on starbucks radio on XM...loving unkle bob too
I definitely have a think for Asian foods of all types, from sushi to dim sum I love it all. Not overly found of Indian food, however do enjoy it form time to time. Love seafood as well, especially lobster and stone crab
What I'm Watching
On the food side I used to watch the take home chef a lot, I like Nigela, the barefoot contest and everyday italian. On the non-food front my pvr is busy: Prison break, lost, 24, the csi's, house, dirty sexy money, are a few of my favourites
Scotch and beer
Favorite Website Online
Most coveted item
Where in Toronto I am eating today, trying to provide insight to great Toronto eateries
- Good Eats at Trevor - Toronto
Had a great time and an excellent meal at Trevor Wine bar on Wellington east, Saturday night. The restaurant is pretty cool looking, very dark with neat candles and lights. The bar area is very busy and loud with a separate dinning area. The menu is pretty funky with lots of interesting mixes. My 2 cents would be to ask for the bar menu in addition to the dinner menu as we found many of the appetizers on the bar menu to be more appealing then on the dinner menu.
I had without a doubt the best sushi pizza I have ever had to start. It was off the bar menu and was truly amazing. My wife had the shrimp tempura, also off the bar menu and they were fantastic as well. For our mains I had a horseradish/bacon crusted steak that was terrific and she had the black cod, which was equally good, yet a tad on the small side.
For dessert we had the chocolate pecan pie/tart that was very good and they had an equally funky herbal tea menu.
if you are looking for a fun hot spot in the big smoke, giver treveor wine bar a shot.
- Posted Jun 2, 2008 by gobuds | Add a comment | Share It
- Filed under: And bar Kitchen Toronto Trevor
- Nestle Noir Intense
- I was recently at a charity event, called Noir, and as a giveaway they handed out bars of this new chocolate from Nestle, called Noir. I have to tell you, its pretty amazing. I am usually not a huge dark chocolate fan, finding it too bitter, but I really liked this one. Try it, would love to know what you think
- Posted May 23, 2008 by gobuds | Add a comment | Share It
- Filed under: chocolate nestle noir
- Lettuce Eatery
- you know the idea for a salad bar isn't that novel, however you really can't find that many good ones around, especially not here north of the border! So, knocking off of ideas from the good old USA Lettuce eatery opened here in Toronto. Truth be told, its a great idea. You choose what you want in your salad form a huge selection of choices or from one of their pre-created choices and off you go. The good news is the selection and freshness can't be questioned, there is nothing but options here. The bad news is that the proteins (chicken, beef, shrimp tofu ) are all pretty lousy- it says here they are cooked then frozen then thawed. Then there is the price. $8 for a take a way salad is a tad high. Here is the really good news, they had added soup. With the winters we are having this is been a boon for them. All the same fresh options, but the frozen/thawed proteins taste great in soup. So if you are in TO and looking for a quick, healthy bite to eat check out Lettuce Eatery.
- Posted Mar 7, 2008 by gobuds | Add a comment | Share It
- Filed under: Eatery Lettuce Toronto
- All you Can Eat Sushi that is edible
- Now i know what you are thinking, all you can eat can't be good, truth be told it rarely is. However on a recent trip to Barrie Ontario, I stumbled into a sushi place called Ajisai (www.ajisai.ca) and in their barrie loction they serve all you can eat for both lunch and dinner. I have to tell you i was really, really impressed. The sushi was fresh and delicious, great selection, over 100 items on the menu. It is about 13 for lunch and 20 for dinner but they have a great product. This includes pop and iced tea, and the food is fresh as it was lined up out the door. They have multimple locations in the GTA, however it looks like only the bayview location is all you can eat. Will write more after I try it.
- Posted Jan 9, 2008 by gobuds | 2 Comments | Share It
- Filed under: barrie eat sushi
Sorry for the delay in my review. I am happy to report that I ate not once but twice at Blowfish since posting. Have any of you been? Wow, what a spot. A little bit of Miami comes to Toronto. Decor is very cool, but man is it loud! Food is simply amazing.
Here is what to order and what to avoid:
shrimp shooters- picture a giant shrimp tempura hand role with mango but instead of it being in a seaweed wrapper its in an egg roll wrapper and served in a tall glass shot glass- truly heaven
Hamachi in hot oil- raw yellow tail served in hot oil with a peanut dressing- literally melts in your mouth
All of the rolls are great, some of my favs:
golden king crab king crab, treviso, egg, pine nuts, avocado, cucumber, asian spices, golden tobiko - is quite delicious
blue snow tuna, tai, salmon, kani, avocado, mango, gobo, cucumber, daikon sprout, blue curacao, kewpie -amazing what a clever mix!
orange & black salmon, mango, avocado, orange & black tobiko, yuzu drizzle -another amazing blend
The only one I would truly avoid is the one with kobi beef.
The lobster dumplings sound better then they are.
Its a real happening spot- always busy enojy
- Posted Nov 14, 2007 by gobuds | 3 Comments | Share It
- Filed under: blowfish sushi Toronto
- November 6
So today I am not feeling so hot, so I decided to hit up my friend Brian at Sprout on St. Clair ave W for some good old fashioned Pho...There is no question in my mind who makes the best Pho in the city and that is Sprout. I usually have the spicy Oh My Goodness soup, however today i went with the traditional Pho with brisket- amazing!
Tonight I am going to Blowfish with clients, will provide a review tomorrow.
- Posted Nov 6, 2007 by gobuds | 2 Comments | Share It
- Filed under: lunch restaurants sprout Toronto